- Vancouver Island Adventure Cruises & Kayaking | Get West
- The Uchuck III | Get West Adventure Cruises | Vancouver Island
- Local Villages | Get West Adventure Cruises | Vancouver Island
- Media Gallery | Get West Adventure Cruises | Vancouver Island
- Visitors' Centre | Get West Adventure Cruises | Vancouver Island
- Contact Us | Get West Adventure Cruises | Vancouver Island
Cruise aboard the MV Uchuck III
The Uchuck III derives her name from the West Coast First Nations Nootkan word for “healing waters” and has been serving the Vancouver Island area for over 50 years. Originally built in Oregon as an American Yard Minesweeper in 1942, the MV Uchuck III has been totally refitted to accommodate 100 passengers and up to 100 tons of freight (cargo). Stops are made along her route (as required) at camps and settlements in the area to deliver supplies and passengers or in a sheltered inlet to drop off kayaks, which are hoisted out over open water and then lowered with the kayaker inside – referred to as a wet launch.
This historic vessel has been carefully reconditioned with a comfortable wood-finished lounge, a coffee shop, and spacious seating on the open-air upper deck – the perfect front-row seats to Vancouver Island’s rugged West Coast. For more information about the rich history of the Uchuck III and her predecessors, Get Nautical.